Camino del Norte 2015

San Sebastian Before the Camino

June 18, 2015
seaside view city hall san sebastian spain

First my apologies if you subscribe to my blog and you are receiving emails that say there is a new post but when you follow the link, there’s nothing there. I’m still learning how to use this WordPress app on my phone.

Anyway, to continue from where I left off in my last post

I walked a little over a kilometer toward the center of San Sebastián to the apartment where my friend Carina and her family were vacationing. It was great to see her and her husband after twenty-plus years, and to meet her sons and brother.

We chatted for awhile, then Carina suggested we go to the beach. Not having slept for more than 24 hours, I wasn’t inclined to do much of anything but Carina persisted. “It’s about 500 yards away,” she told me, “and well worth seeing.” I succumbed. Here is what I would have missed:

We lay on the beach for awoke, during which time I regretted the decision not to bring my swimsuit to the Camino. Finally, I decided it was time to go shower the travel grime away so took a set of keys and headed back to the apartment. On the way, I came across this:

Finally I made it back and showered and changed. The gang was back by then and talking about going to dinner. At first I said I would join them but about twenty minutes later I felt like I was about to pass out so crawled into bed, donned my eye mask and Bose noise reducing headphones playing white, and basically passed out, waking up a couple times but then going back to sleep until eight this morning.

You Might Also Like

10 Comments

• Reply Samantha June 18, 2015 at 10:21

Haha! That won’t be the first time you regret not having a swimsuit on the Camino del Norte! I decided not to bring one too and there are just SO MANY beautiful beaches along the way that I ended up buying one a couple weeks in (I promptly lost it and went back to just jumping in in my underwear and sports bra)!

• Reply Sometimes She Travels June 18, 2015 at 11:05

Shoot!

• Reply Ally June 18, 2015 at 17:40

What a fabulously symmetrical photo of that gorgeous cathedral!! I see you also replaced your Bose headphones. How much do they weigh?

• Reply Sometimes She Travels June 20, 2015 at 08:05

Hey Ally, thanks for the compliment! Yes, bought the headphones on sale at SFO. Not sure how much the weight but am SO glad to have them!!!

• Reply Holly June 18, 2015 at 11:14

Wow, it’s sooo gorgeous there!! I’m impressed how well you are using the WP App. Another thing I need to learn!

• Reply Bonnie June 18, 2015 at 13:08

Elissa, lucky you! Was this the famous La Playa de la Concha? I remember it and beautiful San Sebastian; it was raining though when we went in May.

• Reply Sometimes She Travels June 20, 2015 at 08:03

It was overcast when we came through on foot so I’m very glad to have had this sunny afternoon there Bonnie. Yes, it is Playa la Concha.

• Reply dbowes23 June 19, 2015 at 09:13

The beach and cathedral were magnificent. It’s amazing how much we can miss if we give in to our fatigue and recalcitrance, eh? But then again, sometimes… Let us know how well-marked the Camino Norte is. I’ve heard that this is a challenge. Be safe and alert, and enjoy.

• Reply Sometimes She Travels June 20, 2015 at 08:07

There have definitely been some tricky spots re: the way marking but for the most part it’s good. Thanks!

What are your thoughts?